Tuesday, May 1, 2012

what i've learned

For those of you who don't know or have forgotten, I am engaged. And let's just say there's a lot to do with being engaged. It pretty much has been the craziest semester ever and my grades are a witness to that. So I thought I would share some things I've learned from my experience:
~ First off, get lots of sleep. I know its really tempting to just hang out really late with your fiance but it will take its toll. So believe me, a person who needs a solid eight hours of sleep in order to function, get some sleep!
~ Also, realize that when people ask you who the wedding planning is going they usually don't want all of the details. Of course this is a generic statement and there are people who do care about the flowers and the cake and the photographer and all of that stuff, but most likely the people asking will be looking for a short, positive statement about how it is going. I myself had to learn this the hard way as I would go on for quite a bit about the planning and only realize they wanted the reader's digest version. Needless to say it was awkward and I felt very silly.
~ And remember to keep a cool head. Wedding planning is crazy; I'll be the first to attest to that, but don't let it drive you crazy. Make sure that you are open to ideas and opinions of family members as well as your fiance. You might not chose to go the way you originally thought, which has happened to me several times, but it will look darling either way. So be flexible.
~ But you don't want to be wishy-washy. Make sure you are making decisions. And even if you don't really care what the center pieces look like or how the flowers are arranged, at least make a choice about it. Any choice will do. Just make sure you are happy about what you choose. Remember this is YOUR day and that the decisions should be yours, so make sure to make them. But please remember that it is your fiance's day too, so really do take their opinion into consideration no matter how ridiculous it might sound at first.
~ Also, and I think most importantly, take time for just you and your fiance. Just take a break from all the wedding craziness and spend your attention on one another. It will really help out your relationship, especially if the planning is getting stressful. Also remember that the important thing is that you are marrying your amazing sweetheart. Don't let engagements or rings or shoes or dress sizes or napkins or dessert ideas get in the way. Remember the real reason why you are getting married- the love of your life.
Well I don't know much, but I do know that these would have really helped me in these last few months. I also want to add to this list that looking outside of yourself is a great way to feel better about your problems. A little bit of service towards those around you goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment